Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Calibanus hookerii

This is my largest Calibanus, it measures 16" in diameter and have grown it for about 10yrs

Love the bark texture on these plants

I wanted to enter it in the C&S show but not in the terracotta pot it was in and did not have time to make one. Was at one of those Asian pottery outlets looking around, the bonsai containers they had were big enough but either the wrong shape or too expensive. As I was walking out I saw this stack of pots in an out of the way corner, as I got closer I thought it would work perfectly. As I looked at the shape and measured it it turned out to be a garden hose holder and had a huge hole in the center about 6in wide. For $25 I couldn't go wrong. Cover the the opening with some hardware wire and the plant looks great in it.

I made the pot last year. Did not really like it when I took it out of the kiln and placed on the shelf, potted up my 10in wide Calibanus in it and the combination works well together.

1 comment:

Rob Addonizio from Taiko-Earth said...

I can understand what you mean about liking (or not liking) your pieces right after the firing. However, I really think this is a great combo. Keep it up!